Sunday 10 July 2022

10th July 2022 - Clearing the Lower Quarter

Thought for the day:"Old people are not grouchy. We are just a little less polite and more honest"

Interesting start to this day - which was last night really - as I sat at the machine there was a disturbance outside and got out to find blue flashing lights  - no not the police finally catching up with me, but a full size Fire Engine stuck - well would have been if it had gone any further around the corner !!.

Looking for Brithdir - which they had just passed - and had to reverse all the way down the lane to the main road... with the Fire Car as well..  It seems that another Fire Engine did a similar action around the other rout to the house and got as far as South View before turning...

The sad news was that out neighbour owns some forestry out near the road and on the forestry is a cabin - which he does not really use but was there and was vandalise about ten days ago!  Having the police called, and some forensic for damage caused with something that looked like a machete or similar !

But last night someone decided to revisit the cabin and set it on fire - and due to the time that it took the fire brigade to find it - it seems that it has burned to the ground....  I am saddened for our neighbours - but also that the village has people who would do such a thing - it was really away from the beaten track and would not expect such in the area. We shall see what happens but I will be honest that I have little confidence in the police these days - the first call for the damage did not merit a visit for 5 days - thought they did send some forensic examination in the end. We shall see. I would like to be favourably surprised.

In other news - it was hot today and Susie was still in bed with Covid. I tested myself again and still showing blood red positive!

So I took another opportunity to test something that had been playing on my mind. I wanted to know whether I Could get the sit on Mower John Deere Tractor down to the lower quarter. It would make a huge difference to the work that we are aiming to achieve down there. 

Well - a screwdriver and one of the supporting poles for the middle gate could be removed and the gate lifts off the hinges - and there is about and inch either side to get through !

The walkway is just slightly smaller than the width of tractor - but with care I found that I could drive down the raised walkway. 

Long and short - the lower quarter is now accessible with the John Deere.








Of course we don't need to mention the drainage ditch and the hour and a half with a jack and planks to try and get the tractor freed - but I managed in the end - a little more energy expended probably than I should with Covid.. but needs must! 

Now we need to see what we can do about the Island as this is so much better than trying to do it with a strimmer! There is no way that I can get the tractor there - I think !!  But the hand motor mower is an option I think .. we shall see..

Cheers !





No comments:

Post a Comment