Sunday 6 April 2014

6th April 2014 - I find the current date unacceptable - I shall look for an alternative....

Thought for the day : ""I'm quite happy with simple solutions like, pointy knife, your face"....

Sitting in the evening, and watching the worst of television.. Piers Morgan !!  I have no doubt that he is a successful interviewer.. and is probably asking the best questions for an interview - but Torville and Dean !!  I am sitting with my Father in law and wondering how anyone finds the content of any interest...  Don't get me wrong, I liked Torville and Dean at the Sarajevo, and the Bolero...  though I prefer the version in 10 !!

Torville and Dean - aged 56 and 57 - looking really good for their age... and still doing shows (apparently) and  I find that they are the ones doing the TV Dancing on Ice...  and have some more shows internationally. I do not notice this sort of thing but Susie tells me that she has bruises all over her legs as they are still doing the shows......

Not really a thing I do .. look at ladies legs ... really !!!  Cough .. Cough...

But why anyone would want to sit and watch the expose of their early days, and loves and traumas I cannot understand..  Of course - I would have switched channel by now  - but we are in another house and I cannot influence the channel decisions...  I think we will have to wait until there is an interval so that my mother - in - law leaves the room for enough time to forget that the television is on.. We have tried to switch it off twice and received criticism that we are upsetting her viewing...   although we know that she sadly cannot recall much beyond a few minutes...

But I suppose I will never really understand the whole of the Voice , strictly come dancing, dancing on ice, get me out of here, or East Coronation Farm and its ilk.....

I gave up newspapers a while ago - as they were heading down the line of promoting insignificance, and generally running stories that have no relevance other than to sell newspapers to those who have no need of information...  I quite liked some of the page three girls...  But would not pay for the benefit...

I remember a number of interviews in my earlier days when a standard question at interview related to the which newspaper I read...   and my answers in early days explaining a novel view that I could get more news from other sources, 24 hour television, radio and the new upcoming websites....  Not sure I ever won the argument...  Never got the job so probably not !!

But as a child of a Fleet Street journalist - where we had the entire set of main broadsheet and tabloid papers delivered every morning to the house - I am sure we were popular with our local paper delivery boy !!..  I grew up with all the newspapers.. I cannot say that I surveyed them with the precision of my father as he looked for the story that had missed him or the inspiration for the next feature..
 but they formed part of my formative years ... just their presence and therefore I grew to absorb the nature of the papers..

In college times, I followed the various key stories and still have the papers and cuttings in boxes - somewhere in the "Box" Collection..   I followed the analysis f Nixon at the height of his troubles and commented on my own pre blog diaries....

But today I would not put any money into the hands of the newspaper moguls.. It is bad enough that I turn onto Sky News and BBC news to find that they are covering the same programmes incessantly !!
And that was my fail safe with the 24 hour television - that I could turn onto the news and find something interesting...

No, today - for interest, I will record a history programme... watch a Cadfael... see something about Time Team ...  Countryfile and Sharpe...  I begin to appreciate  the whole benefits of recording and saving and box sets on demand....

I find the current date unacceptable - I shall look for an alternative....


No comments:

Post a Comment