Wednesday 11 June 2014

11th June 2014 - How much is that Bard in the Window???

Thought for the day: " Schrodinger is Here all week - and isn't"

Today was interesting.
I decided to join an Art Venture by a good friend who had set up an event in Swansea in what is known as the Creative Bubble. This turned out to be a  shop, in a back road of Swansea, owned (or leased) by Swansea University as an "ART VENUE"

What I saw was a bus stop. A bus shelter in fact, with fairly comfortable resting bench for waiting, facing a shop window, which had been set out as a stage set - with microphones and stands, and big speakers in the street, so the artist could stand (or sit) in the window and play for those who may (or may not) be passing by or watching...   


The event itself was greater than that. It was about the connection of verse and poetry and art and the spoken word and the sung word in the form of songs... Small scale, but a clear statement nevertheless..
Creative Bubble
I was scheduled fro 3pm to 3.30pm and was there in my full persona of Vollsanger the Skald.. In Swansea..


The audience was not huge - in fact much of the time it was mainly the quick departure of bus travellers heading on their way .. Some with bemused looks .. Others with iPods in their ears not hearing anything anyway..
None seemed that concerned about the Viking in the Shop Window..

As an aside - I suddenly looked across the road and saw that there were two traffic wardens at my mother's car... I rushed across the road and said in my most polite fashion! "Sorry - is there a problem?? I have the Disabled card here - is that not alright??" It was of course a loading zone and not legal for even a disabled parking... "  Luckily I found a warden willing for me to move the car as they had not completed the forms - and I gladly moved the car...

It was only as I returned to the shop that I thought and realised - that I was in my full Vollsanger costume/persona  and had the Blades of Berkhana, two matched daggers on a belt by my side - clearly larger than any legal blade for the city of Swansea.   They may be latex - but they look the real thing - and I was not challenged or arrested !!!   For the Win !!!

So, back to the venue - great artists, book reading and singers and funny rhymes and raps..

But as for me - a great opportunity to try out some old and new songs...
Note for self - learn to refix the finger picks after every song - or they spin off !!!  Also - the microphone needs to be a lot closer to the zither ....

But otherwise - I was there all week ...

Don't mess with the Bard!!!

-o0o-

Oh - and place of the day ??




No comments:

Post a Comment