Saturday 5 July 2014

5th July 2014 - Of Stocks and Sharing Stories

Thought for the day : "New Definitions - . Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained"

Occasionally I see a post upon Social Media that gives me a giggle and on those occasions I think it worth while to copy on the blog for my record and reference if for no other reason... Social Media listings are restricted to those who engage in them and they will soon get lost in the mass of postings and drift away into history - unsearched and practically unsearchable.

Now my friend Roger, the Barber Surgeon, re-enactor, and active employee of CADW - the Welsh Heritage Organisation here in Wales, posts some long and rambling posts on Facebook. If he had a blog, it would be easy to link to it and follow some of his musings, but most of the time his observations disappear into the complex world that is Facebook Land...

But I enjoy his musings and like me his mind seems to drift in random directions so occasionally I may steal quote them here so that I can find them with a search tool sometime in the future...


Under the Title of "Morgan's Musings"

"The Stocks...   

D'you know, sometimes the world is a seriously crappy, awful and terrible place and then something happens that shines a light through the clouds. Dad's nursing home has a summer fete every year and the other evening one of the nurses came up to me and said "You know medieval stuff, don't you?"
I replied that I had a nodding acquaintance with the period, yes, and she said "can you make us some stocks to put people in to throw wet sponges at for the fete?" 
I replied yeah sure, which is why I found myself at the builders merchants in Risca this morning. After handing over the timber order to the lady she asked "What you making now, then, love?" and I said " oh, a set of stocks for the nursing home" 

"Good God!" she exclaimed " What the hell are they doing to the poor old sods down there " 
And I explained. At the till she asked what it was for, again. When I got home I looked at the receipt and she'd given me staff discount. See, the world ain't such a bad place after all. 

But one light has gone out which shone bright on the telly for years. Actress Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden) has rung down the curtain and taken her final bow. I met her once. I was speaking on Rorkes Drift to the Lions Club at the Celtic Manor in Newport and as I was making my way to the room the lift doors opened and there stood Jean Alexander. I was holding a collection of Zulu spears, a shield and a Martini Henry rifle. Without missing a beat she said "I say, you don't see this every day". 

Later I spent a short time in her company in the bar where she was holding court. Charming, elegant, funny and every inch the perfect lady.  "

Sad news though Coronation Street was never one of my viewing choices. Though The Mirror on June 27th showed that "Hilda" was putting a brave face upon her stroke..

Coronation Street’s Jean Alexander said yesterday: “Don’t write me off yet.”
Jean, 87, who played cobbles cleaner  Hilda Ogden for 23 years, is recovering from a stroke, and chose the Mirror to pass on a message to her fans.
She said: “Don’t worry, I am fit and well, but thank you so much for your good-will messages.”
Jean is already planning to get back to her garden. She said: “I suffered a very slight stroke but I hope to be back in the garden in no time at all.”
And she laughed: “I’ve spent my career playing old ladies – now I am one.”
Corrie legend Jean, who fell ill at home last week, said staff at Southport and Formby District General Hospital had been “magnificent”. And she added: “Don’t write me off yet, there’s still so much I plan to see and do.”   
Jean said: “I was not ‘rushed’ to hospital, there were no blue lights. In fact, I asked the ambulance driver to take me back for my mints, because I never go anywhere without them. And he did."

So as we sit on a Saturday evening searches on the internet are confused as to the current situation. Twitter will tell me that she died on July 4th, but it is not on the BBC News site at all. So it may be that we need to take Jean at her word and not write her off yet...  Hope she has enough mints!!...

Cheers Roger - I lift my glass to you and your ramblings ... About time you started your own Blog...


-o0o-
Picture of the day 
adverts form days gone by

No comments:

Post a Comment