Saturday 7 September 2013

6th September 2013 - Days of Disappointment

There are days when you get up early and think that the whole day is ahead and everything is looking splendid. Today was one of those. Early start. The Sun was shining. Plan of attack sorted and ready for implementation.
Early cup of tea and a piece of toast and the Bothy primed and packed and down the motorway for one of the favourite events of the year . The Early Medieval Alliance Reenactment at Caldicot Castle for the weekend. An event that we started some 11 years ago, and though not the highest value event sales-wise, one of the greatest fun and one of the best fellowship with  friends that we see once or twice a year ...

And so 10 am at the Park was fine, the weather holding nicely with sun and little in the way of clouds - though a small threat of change in the mackerel skies above the castle walls.

Since our last trip to Caldicot, some work has been done upon the west (goodness knows I have no idea of the direction) tower. It is the one where CADW store all the festival stuff, and have not used for years. It is also where I plug in the power for the Crimson Moon and our friends the Brecon Burger Bar... and string a wire over the walls and for 100 metres to the tavern and stands....
This year though there was a stack of scaffolding over the tower. Speaking with the Gaffer - he says that they would not get all the scaffolding down by the weekend - so it allowed me to run the wires along the fencing instead of flying it over the trees as I have done in previous years. A saving of about an hour !!

So While I await the arrival of the Moon, I run the wire over the castle walls and through the undergrowth. I think that it is fair to say that there are nettles that grow in Caldicot that are more virile and vicious than those growing anywhere else in the United Kingdom!!!. It does not help that I was in shorts!!!  What ???  I am always in shorts when I set up !!!

I am a Fat old man  (not in my mind I will allow you - but in reality I have to be realistic) and therefore if I am going to do anything energetic it has to be in the minimal amount of clothing. Common decency requires a basic modesty .. so shorts and singlet it is !!!...

The nettle undergrowth at Caldicot is greater than the distance I can effectively throw a gathered wire....

So - with the assistance of half a flagpole staff, I mercilessly attacked the nettles as I strove to get to where the end of the wire had fallen in the undergrowth...  My mother would have applauded me as I shouted "Off with their Head" as I advanced step by step into the greenery..

At last I grabbed hold of the end of the safety cable and pulled it from the band of Triffids that lay before me.. and with only a few sores upon the wrist and arm, and a bite on the leg - escaped to freedom...

Safe in the knowledge that my endeavours had ensured that Beer would flow and Burgers would burn ( to the necessary level  - fit for eating ) I retired from the bushes - safe in the knowledge of a job well done...  
the event was safe ....

A cup of tea in the Bothy.. a fit start to the day ...

As for the rest of the day - that would be in other hands...
But it was a good start to the day ....

No comments:

Post a Comment