Tuesday 29 December 2015

29th December 2015 - Language Lessons

Thought for the day :"In 1770, British Parliament banned lipstick.Saying it had the power to seduce men in to marriage, which was classified as witchcraft - seems legit.."

I thought about language today.. Not a lot, but a little.

"I NEVER SAID SHE STOLE MY MONEY"
A simple statement but a fascinating one if you think about placing the stress on a different word in the sentence.

How it changes .. 
I never said she stole my money - someone else did
I never said she stole my money - I was misquoted.
I never said she stole my money - but it was quite clear that I thought it and so did you
I never said she stole my money - but somebody did and I think I know who
I never said she stole my money - but it was as good as taking it from my wallet
I never said she stole my money - but she stole everybody elses
I never said she stole my money - but she stole everything else... or maybe just my heart
  
7 different meanings depending on which word you stress

So I will just leave that there and give you a Christmas thought - which is in the right spirit ( gin)
Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment