Monday 6 July 2020

6th July 2020 - Queues and Songs...

Thought for the day :"I found a fossil. I think it was scared. It was petrified!"


LINK JOHNS HOPKINS
Office of National Statistics



In first news, I have decided to try to work in collaborations with some friends in Germany on a German Drinking Song about the end of the World. On 30th May is the end of the World!!  "But which year?" it asks... As we don't now which year we could be around for a long time and so we'll drink to that !!!    

I approached the Trunkenpolde - or the Drunkards with whom I had recorded a small cameo in the chorus....   Die Krüge Hoch - (Lift the glass high) 


But I put together my own little version of the Weltuntergang (end of the world) for their consideration... which is an unlisted piece other than for this blog and the use by the band.


What I had not expected was the degree to which the band are fully professional. As well as agreeing that it would be a nice idea to work on this over the next couple of weeks, Sebastian has already started orchestrating!!

Will keep everyone informed of the progress..

In other news ...
Nope - Plague was not on my cards for July!!

In other news today - had some fashion shots for my daughter and granddaughter...



Full set on Flickr... 

In other, other news..  Trip to the warehouse this morning to look at moving some of the choir storage  out of the warehouse as we downsize.
Ont he way back decide to pop into the Bank. Well I thought that the trip to the shops on Saturday was strange with all the one way systems and sanitising and distance preparations which were, to be fair, quite impressive.
Today I had to put some cash in from one of the Lodges into HSBC as the cheques were about to expire being almost 6 months old. 20 minutes in the queue outside and then manged to do the business.
On to Nat West and we were once more queuing across the road - all socially distanced.
Another 25 minutes and I was inside to get some cash out for incidental expenses relating to house sale.
Then down to the Pharmacy where they had managed to forget my prescription again. Luckily no queues here but a 5 minute wait at the telecom to ask for a prescription and for them to agree to pass it through to the Pharmacy so I could pick up my tablets tomorrow morning (I am on my last ones today)
And as I get home I see an email from my solicitor telling me that I have to transfer 10% of the purchase price to their client account so we can exchange contracts...  £36,900. So I go on-line and find out that £20K is the maximum you can transfer in one day..  So guess what - Off I pop down to Nat West again where they were pleased to see me (of course) but managed to do the transfer.

Ho hum - I may lose weight in the end !!!

So - a bit more adulting and I cancelled the water and drainage in Barton on Sea. Can't think of much more to do down there but I am sure that I will have forgotten something.  Telephone, Sky, Broadband and TV all arranged for mid July and telephone cancellation for New Road.
Hoping to visit the new house tomorrow as the five mile restriction has been lifted today ....

So - today's shut-down serenade - we are up to number 72 - Cows with Guns...

Read this about the song,,,

VISITED BY THE GREAT COSMIC COW
I awoke at about 5:30AM one August morning in 1994 from a strange dream. Bovine revolutionaries had just taken Omaha in the most significant defeat of the US military since Red Cloud dusted Custer. The story was told in a simple countryesque tune with an over abundance of weak rhymes and low blow puns. I immediately rose to scribble down the 14 or so verses I remembered from the dream.
Several hours later my girlfriend found me in the parking lot writing in my notebook. We were about to leave on a trip where I was to meet her folks for the first time.
"Are you OK?" she asked.
"Oh, yeah, just writing a new tune".
"Let me hear it, perhaps you can play it for Mom and Dad this afternoon."
I sang her the tune.
"Maybe not."
 I worked on the lyrics of COWS for several weeks and had a lot of difficulty with the ending of the song. At one point I had the US dropping nuclear weapons on the cows, but my friends quickly rejected this ending as "not positive", and "too sad". Which was true. But how could a bunch of poorly armed bovines defeat the greatest military might on Earth?
My old friend Robbie Liben was visiting from New York City. He is one of the worst punsters I've ever met in my life. When he gets on a role, it can be a real punishment. (groan). Anyway, he was hanging out with me up at the treehouse where I live, and we decided to go over into the neighbors hot-tub and work on the COWS WITH GUNS ending. Four hours later, a pruned Liben lept from the tub exclaiming "Whoppers, coppers, shoppers, choppers!" a quadruple rhyme capturing the entire Western experience of malls, meat, military, and a Hollywood cavalry rescue all in one neat double verse. COWS WITH GUNS was complete.


Cheers !!




No comments:

Post a Comment