Wednesday 15 October 2014

15th October 2014 - Gloves and Garb...

Thought for the day: "The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes."

Went out this evening to a meeting in the local lodge building. It is just like going to any private club really. I go there quite often, a few times a week on occasion, but today was an installation ceremony, so there were many more people there.
Sadly, today was also a funeral for an old colleague - so I was dressed in my full black Crombie Coat and dark suit - with a dark cardigan because it was cold and damp and raining. The weather was cold, and as I left the house I searched for a pair of gloves that I occasionally use in the winter. They are not expensive. Just a standard pair of woolen gloves, black in colour... Sadly - a search of all local likely places proved fruitless.

The funeral was well attended, I was a minor associate by comparison to those who had known the deceased for more years than I, so when the main hall of the Crematorium filled up and the guests filled the balcony - we were left in the lobby, with the CCTV and a large window to watch the ceremony...  I am sure it was wonderful. It was entirely in Welsh.. and with the exception of the mention of Rotary and the fact that my old friend had crossed the States of America on a Motor Bike - 2000 miles, which somehow managed to translate in my mind...
In the lobby - there was a huge wall sized radiator which blasted out heat - causing me to remove the Crombie...  could not take the jacket off as that would be inappropriate - but cardigan was now being a very bad idea...
I found a solution, I sidled around through the crowd until I was on the doorway into a corridor, where a slight breeze drifted form a window out of reach...   We were into minute 17 of the history of Brian - which was seemingly quite amusing from the smiles and laughs from those around me - and that is a fine tribute to someone who I knew was always good fun and a caring person ..  But it was still hot.  The Hymn was "Calon Lan" - at least I knew the chorus of this one  - there not being enough "Order of Service" for those in below the salt..  so we could sing...
Llanelli Crematorium, probably the same as any similar facility, with the exception of Margam Crematorium which has sadly been shut for months - because of a fire !!!!, Works to a very tight schedule...   So the length of the Welsh Speech was obviously closely timed and ended within the timing required...
This was a ceremony that had no religious content - it was surrounded by friends and family to see the departing of someone who had been dearly loved and fondly remembered....
It was a delightful ceremony, and a fitting parting for my friend.. And was very warm on a day that was mainly identified by a driving rain ....

As the ceremony finished, we started towards the main hall so that we could form a line to pay respects to the close family, to find that the Funeral Staff shut the door to prevent access ..   Step back and I can see the purpose - if you let everyone file through the hall then the next funeral will start behind schedule..  So we dutifully went back into the rain and cold and around the back of the building - to find that we could sneak into the receiving line as the remainder of the congregation were still trying to get out of the hall. The rain was continuous - that rain that soaks through despite an umbrella - but we were able to pay our respects to the family.. 

And so I arrived at the Llanelli Masonic Hall and changed my Crombie Coat and at last removed my ill considered cardigan and replaced it with my Masonic Regalia  ready for the installation of a new Master ...

And all went well for the ceremony and festive board and dining afterwards...

I should mention, that Masonic Halls tend to have a historic flavour to them, and the outer halls of Llanelli Masonic Hall include an old and possibly antique coat stand in the corner.. I put my Crombie Coat and my Cardigan upon it at the beginning of the evening... It is not out of the bounds of possibility that I can be one of the last people to leave at an evening of this sort..  I know that this is hard to believe!!
But as I left for the evening, taking my coat and cardigan, I found that there was a coat still upon the Stand..
I was not the last person in the Lodge ..  but...
This coat was Green and a rain coat..
It was very similar to a coat I own ..
I am not one to embark upon crime - but a police background requires me to do a little detective work - so I tried one pocket ...   some paper and nothing identifiable..
The other pocket had a pair of gloves - black and wool ! A standard pair of woolen gloves, black in colour.

I looked at the coat - it was similar to mine - but I was sure that it was at home.. I thought better to leave it there... There were still members in the hall - it could belong to one of them

But I will go back on Friday to see it if was really mine!!

I would prefer to face the Winter with a pair of gloves...   Winter is Coming !!
You know nothing Jon Snow!!

I see that another 20 litres of Chateau 41 (White) has been bottled during my temporary absence 
Cheers



-o0o-
Old Time Religion 

No comments:

Post a Comment