Wednesday 17 September 2014

17th September 2014 - Taking it Easy - Jet

Thought for the day, "It is hard to understand how a cemetery raised its burial cost and blamed it on the cost of living."

So, somewhere in the air over Swindon, as we fly North!! Seems we will go that way for a while and then turn right and fly over Germany to get to Crete. Not my decision so I suppose I will have to go with it...
Bristol Airport is a lot more relaxed than my normal trips up to Heathrow - not only because it is a lot nearer and easier to park. The security was quicker and the whole airport is less busy. Plane actually filled and took off pretty much on time - flying easy-jet n no frills and no legroom. In fact there is not really room to open the laptop on my lap and I have to move the machine around to see what I am writing and then put the screen down a little to reach the keyboard....
I am sure there will be a lot of spell checking when I get to Crete later today...

We have the only baby in Bristol that is flying today - just in front of us - but so far seems to be a well behaved littlun and Susie is playing peek-a-boo in a doting new grandmotherly sort of way....
Luckily I have a seat free next to me so I may have a chance of swinging around on the journey.
Flight time estimated at 3 and a half hours...
Laptop battery scheduled to stop - goodness knows when....

Oops - got me at it now ...  Sitting here pulling faces at a 9 month old youngster -
Oh well !!

No frills in deed - found that the seats won't recline at all!!  So do not need one of those little thingummies that stop aircraft seats going backwards.. saw them advertised in one of the articles, along with stories of the "air - Rage" that starts when people either find that they have been prevented - or have someone's chair in their face. Lots of discussions as to where the space that you have paid for belongs to you or the person in the other chair and your rights to prevent reclining.  Well easy Jet seem to have avoided the issue in entirety.

Was welcomed in the duty free section by a display of Scotch Whiskys - with samples and it woudl have been rude to refuse to try them ..  Not a bad start to the trip really. Decided to grab a bottle of Graymore Scotch - very nice - don't mind if I do - though would have liked some of the ones with the Green Label rather than the Blue one... Green labels can only be purchased if you are leaving the European Union... I had to make do with a Green one !!  And the prices reflected the difference.... But Scotch Whisky is expensive out in Crete as well so I thought it may be a worthwhile choice...

We will wait until we get out there for the Gin and the tonic!!!

A pint of Heiniken ( I thought a soft drink was better at this time of day) a coffee, and two baked potatoes cost £16 - but the food was a good idea - means that we will probably survive until late this evening as I do not expect to eat again tonight. It will be after 11pm when we get to the house, allowing for the two hour time difference.

An Easyjet sandwich and a small can of Budweiser would cost £8 on the plane here.. Luckily we picked up a couple of litres of water for 99p each..... Will make do with water methinks.... Otherwise all our spending money will be gone by the time we arrive..

Susie is a happy bunnie as she has the window seat and is watching her realtime version of Google Maps Satellite view unfold beneath her....

Just been asked by the (possibly) gay flight attendant if I want muffin!!  No answer to that really!! Polite no is required I think...

Is strange leaving the UK in a temperature more similar to that which we would expect at the other end...  Though I have a feeling that I am going to frizzle this week - I think it is well into the 80's out there...  Oh well !!!

I will  have to make do with a glass of the local wine, having left the Chateau 41 to Sam and Simon who are chicken sitting and looking after the dogs for the week...
And maybe a sample of the Graymore...  We will have to see.

And so, looking forward to an uneventful flight - will close now and see if I can upload this blog later when I arrive.....

Yamas!!!

Yup - got here - drinking Cretan wine and Graymore
Can't fault it

-o0o-
Place of the day



No comments:

Post a Comment