Monday 22 September 2014

22nd September 2014 - Day 5 Crete - Hot enough for Swimming or floating ....

Thought for the day: "I want a job cleaning mirrors - I don't know why - its just a job I could see myself doing..."

The two hour difference in time between UK and Crete makes getting up at mid day feel very decadent while in reality only being a lie in until 10am. But it is very hot today !!  I am sure that the locals will still want to put jumpers on and the old ladies will still worry about putting another blanket on the baby, but it is hot !!

So hot that we have decided that we need to go swimming. Now out here in Crete this does not necessarily make a huge amount of sense as there is no shade anywhere near the beaches, and apart from the time that you are in the water - we are likely to cook. I am sure that it is sensible for those who like lying on a beach (read set of stones and rocks) and toast. Shades of St Lawrence the Martyr who was roasted on a griddle for torture and allegedly look at his captors and said" You fools, can't you see? I am done this side - you should turn me over!"

I shall not be shouting to the older Gods of Crete and risking the outcome!

But in other news I saw today that the next stage of dirigible airships has been developed. It makes sense to have machines that will float from place to place with minimum fuel costs, and I can see an excellent tourist attraction for a leisurely, and spacious, cruise over the Grand Canyon, or the Serengetty scaring the animals....


Goodyear have of course done it in the traditional way - allowing a good deal of advertising and looking like a standard Blimp.. But on the other hand - Aeros have gone the stage further...


Apparently, they have learned from earlier problems like only filling with Hydrogen and allowing smoking on board... They have fixed structures and have the gas bags separated..  Also they can, it seems, either carry their load in the holds or  sling it below where new technology allows gymbols to make sure that it does not swing and upset the flight path....



The Aeroscraft can take off and land vertically, like a helicopter, so it can visit destinations which do not have an airport.

This means that even though its 115mph average speed is much slower than a jet aeroplane at 500mph plus, the overall travel time could be lower because it can travel directly from where goods are produced to where they are needed.

Worldwide Aeros hope that this will make it useful to the military and aid charities operating in parts of the world with poorly developed infrastructure on the ground.
It may seem flimsy compared to a metal jet, but the Aeroscraft has bulletproof skin, and even if its exterior is breached it does not deflate like a balloon.



The firm claims that its first airships will be available to customers in mid-2015, when they will be rented out for a year at a time.


But more important - though it's average speed is to be 115mph rather than the estimates 2000 mph of its predecessor - have you noticed the influence, or foresight of good old Mr Anderson....



My Childhood is certainly coming back to haunt me ....  Now all I need is a floating scooter!  This item I understand from the Wiki was developed as Mr Anderson realised that they would never be able to make the marionettes walk realistically - so they needed another means of getting them from place to place. Started in Fireball XL5 and finished being developed by Brains...

But back to the heat - just as the hot air rises to lift the new airships, the hot air here is pushing me to get off my backside and try some floating in the water - never really was a good swimmer - an enthusiastic splasher really. Most of my life I have been told that swimming is the ideal exercise and tomes up every muscle in the body - but I always reflect - "If swimming s so good for you... why are whales that shape ???"

Maybe I will deserve a beer afterwards...
Yamas

-o0o-
Place of the Day


No comments:

Post a Comment