Monday 22 June 2015

22nd June 2015 - Vale and Family Values

Thought for the day:"I before e except when you run a feisty heist upon a weird beige foreign neighbour"

Well, back from the VALE,  and we are getting better at our take downs - both bars packed away and ready to go in four and a half hours. Granted that the threat of the big black clouds on the horizon and the habit of a sudden squall across the glade was a fairly large incentive.. the choice of bringing the canvas back to Wales to dry out or pack away dry if we worked fast and hard...

I am sure that the VALE has its own met system, thought Ginga has formed another opinion. We were accompanied on this occasion once again by Woodrow, aka Rubbish Pete, aka Chasethestorm.com. Her theory is simple.. he is not so much a Storm Chaser as a Storm Bringer. I would not really mind his flippant remarks about it "being quiet",  that "there is no wind", "peaceful isn't it", and no - that was not an Only Way is Essex "Innit" - at least I do not think it was!   No I would not mind those comments, however ill advised, but he just has to walk out with his camera and there is a clap of thunder. Just has to walk into the dunes and there is a deluge of biblical proportions - if only for a few minutes. Still, I look forward to seeing his photos - I seem not to have got my camera out this event...

But, not a large system, but friendly and fun. The Crimson Moon provides a nice location for the Duke's Camp, and the Dark Side provides a darker, more atmospheric location for the Khan's group of beast and undead. Just wish it was not so far to carry everything up a hill !!!  getting too old for this lark...

Watching out for some photos posted by others...  None appeared so will have to use a couple from my phone ..


 The Dukes Camp ... 
 Drunken Monk teddies on guard..

The Khan's Camp - a little more sinister - a little more "undead" and Orc..

From inside - if you want service - just ring the bell  (it is outside)  - loved the shadow - had to take this one
Staff - Hard at work ...


But, the quick take-down allowed me to get home by 11.30pm and to sleep in my own bed. Up early to empty the Bothy and move it from the yellow lines before 9am, but all sorted now - though I will have to go to the warehouse and unload Bertha later - but for the moment, a nice cup of tea and wade through 123 emails... 

Meanwhile - a few thoughts from my favourite re-enactor...

Musings from Mr  Morgan the Barber Surgeon..




It's very difficult to fall out with W H Smiths. After all, Smiths is as much a part of British culture as Gregs, Halfords and Mr Whippy. But today I was astonished at the level to which they had sunk in order to flog a few more magazines.

You see I was in the W H Smiths reading room, the magazine section, looking for that bastion of heritage and adventure 'Skirmish' magazine when I found my gaze diverted by an orange plastic trough hanging from one of the shelves. Now this was in direct line of sight blocking all the other more worthy publications like Cannon Balls Monthly, Ships Rigging Weekly, Experimental Fighter Aircraft Daily and Military Momentarily. I wouldn't have minded had it contained Steam Engines Hourly but it had some gaudy celebrity rag telling the brain dead the exact location of Kim Kardistan or whatever her name is and that of her infernal enhanced boobed brood that infests every channel of the telly these days. 

I have no interest at all in what they're up to or what Ginger Spice is having for tea on Thursday or when Peter bloody Andre's having his ear wax reamed out. If someone has an overriding need to know how to ink in ones eyebrows Egyptian fashion well, quite frankly, that's up to them but why does W H Smith think that information of this sort is a priority for the sort of person who would invest in this months issue of Classic Bayonets of the Franco Prussian War...er, Monthly? Come on Smiths, get with it. Horses for courses.

On the other hand I owe a pint to my friend Davey Sharkeye who's a pirate (arrrrrrrrr) who recommended a certain waterproofing for tents. Old Sharkeye (arrrrrr) waterproofs everything with this stuff including Mrs Sharkeye, also a pirate (arrrrrrrr) and tis good indeed. In fact I have to admit I got a tadge carried away with it, now not only is the tent waterproofed but also my coat, hat, garage door (where coat was hung to be waterproofed) grass on the croquet lawn of Morgan Mansions, the front portion of the boots that I was wearing when I was waterproofing everything else and Ernie next door. Topping stuff Sharkeye (arrrrrrrrr).

So - a glass of Chateau 41 - (Susie has put another load on - what a wonderful wife ..)
and a good night to you ....

No comments:

Post a Comment