Sunday 1 September 2019

1st September 2019 - And E & E to start another holiday

Thought for the day :"Looking for cast members for the Christmas pantomime "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". I am drawing up a short list."

And so.. as we are in Crete we can look upon the British political situation with a degree of objectivity ....    and found this future option...


But we are in Crete, and so way to start a holiday better than a trip to A & E. Not Susie this time - but me... Got off the plane and put my sandals on and thought to myself - "that right foot is a strange colour!! Sort of purple-ish - especially across the toes - but all around the foot as well except for the sole... "  and it is a bit big as well - compared to the other - really swollen...

Hmm. One tends to think about Deep Vein Thrombosis and stuff like that when you just get off the plane, and I have been driving for 10 hours in the Bothy the day before - and a couple of hours to get to the airport - and then sitting in the plane for almost 5 hours....

But no pain - just swelling and a strange colour - so we end up putting my foot into a bucket of cold water for a few hours and then go to bed with an extra pillow for the foot to keep it elevated....

And in the morning it will be alright ?  Well not really. IN the morning the colouring has spread across the foot, the knee and most of the leg are turning orange and the shin is very sensitive and the foot is a little sore...

And so - totally outvoted I get hauled off to the Hospital to see what they can do for me on a Sunday morning...

So - first impressions of a Cretan hospital is reminiscent of the words of Arthur Dent when asked what he thought of a Vogon Constructor fleet spaceship...   "It's a bit squalid - isn't it?"

Cleanliness is not a priority it seems in a Cretan hospital. The floors are dirty and the amount of dust under the chairs is quite impressive. And we have to go back to the receptionist twice for the paper-work..  It is noticeable that those who have been seen by the doctor / nurse (they do not seem to triage everyone as we do) but require further attention come back out to the waiting room - with their drips hanging on convenient hooks, or bandages and patches as they wait for the next stage... I also not the far wall where there is a long cable going from the plug near the floor to a piece of apparatus up near the ceiling - stuck to the wall with micropore - well I suppose it is a hospital and you have to make use of what is there !! Which reminds me of this picture...


But back to the story....

I cannot complain - I was seen within an hour and a half and hobbled in to give my explanation, concerns over clots and such like - and my fear that it may be connected to a certain fall in the dark outside the gypsy encampment last week !!!

And the doctor looks at it - asks a few questions - rubs around the back of the leg - checks where it is hurting and tells me that there is nothing wrong. It is a little bleed that will pass. "Keep your leg up for a while .... and drink more beer !!"

Sounds like a reasonable medical assessment to me - so we pop off for breakfast in Cypriano - but I make sure to have a large beer afterwards while everyone else goes to the κούνιες  (the koúnies) - the swings... It is what the doctor ordered after all !

Back at the house now and it is very warm...  Family watching the Secret Life of Pets (2)...   may be ready for a nap soon - Life is hard at the sharp end!!

But it is 1st September - and I failed to get my White Rabbit posted this morning as I found myself in bed and asleep by 10pm local - (8pm at home) !!!   NO way was I going to be able to stay up until 2am local to post at the midnight hour.. so we will have to make do with being late...


And going to breakfast I see the following excellent piece of parking ...


Cheers!

 Have a good day - knock'em down !!


No comments:

Post a Comment