Sunday 27 November 2016

27th November 2016 - Back from Norsca

Thought for the day:"Sometimes I just want someone to give me a hug and say "you are going to be okay - have a chocolate and 5 million pounds"

A busy weekend, Appendant Orders in Bridgend on Saturday followed by a trip up to Kibblestone (Stone) for the Wolves' Banquet...

A steady trip up the motorway - and the sat nav led me nicely to the scout camp, which is where the problems started. I had noticed that the banquet was not on the main site.. but "just up the road"
Well - "just up the road" proved to be a little elusive - especially in the dark. I found "jubilee Drive" which looked quite promising - but after making my way down the long drive ( I did check first to see that it was drivable) the road plummeted down a steep hill and ended up at a house - with a van across the drive.. 47 point turn later - across the grass with risk of sliding wheels...

So, off we head back along the road - and into the village..  another lane heads up and looks promising - but ends up in the front garden of a private house - with three cars - I am not sure what they thought as I struggled to turn the Bothy in the very restricted space - petrified that I might knock a car...

Maybe there was an entrance at the lower section, through the council estate, and into the lanes - and so I found myself travelling further away form the site...  Put the sat nav back on to find my way back...

Back to the Scout camp - and it seemed that someone had driven a large van around the site - possible a White Camper Van - and the alarms had all gone off at the main buildings - which at least meant that there was a representation form the Scout Group - who were able to advise me as to where the Banquet was being held - but there were two groups on site - so you can never tell...

Half an hour later - I find my way up a narrow track and find a familiar face... and so the evening starts ...

Into the car park and start searching for kit - I had not really done the job properly - you know - the actual sorting out what clothes and kit you need...  that sort of thing. I had checked that I had a guitar. I had checked that I had a guitar strap to hold it in place. The rest - I sort of hoped that everything was where it was when I left it last time - and - for the main part it was...

So - in kit - bells a jingling and off to the banquet with a guitar over  a shoulder...
And - I must say - I was overwhelmed by the reaction as I walked in..
A universal cheer and it was pretty humbling to have so many people welcome you ...   Calls of "here all week" and "A green one"  but mainly - a heartfelt welcome - and that was for someone who was arriving three quarters through the event ... just in time for dinner - which was great of course

So an evening of songs and fun and chatting with the Gods and the Fay.. 

Photos will follow I am sure - though I did not take any myself..

But another great and enjoyable event among friends ...
Last until the new year ..

Praise be to the Wolves - Wolves be praised

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment