Thursday 19 March 2020

19th March 2020 - What the Papers used to say ....

Thought for the day:"I thought I saw a sausage fly past the window but it was a seabird. I think I’ve taken a tern for the wurst."


Among the downsizing I found a CD of a transfer from Tape from the 60's - two episodes of "What the Papers Say" TV programme presented by Eric Sewell - Journalist  - my father.
I managed to transfer the audio and clean it up a little - one track had obviously stretched and the voice got quite slow - so I worked a little on it.

Having got the audio working - I found a few images of the original programme - not much left with images and very little on the Wiki.


But with a few pictures - we now have two episodes from the 1960's - the first I think October 1968, though I will have to check the audio again to see how close this is to the wedding of Jackie Kennedy to Onassis.  The second seems to be at the time of the start of the Famine in Biafra - which could be 1967 - 69 but I think probably again 1968...

The second I have managed to trace to July 1968 - when the Pope famously banned the Pill and other forms of contraception..

And our daily quotation from Trunp.. ""People are dying who have never died before."
- Donald J. Trump,   March 18, 2020


And if you want to see how playing the crisis down and singing your own praises works - here is Mr Trump from the start of the crisis "doing a really good job - the best "



Sadly - our trip to Crete has been confirmed as cancelled with refund of the fares..


On a lighter note - with the "Baby Yoda" memes that are around (I have not seen the film in which he appears but have seen enough references to gather the idea) I rather liked this one today ...
But if you are a historian and nostalgic...


and so to bed - Cheers !


No comments:

Post a Comment