Thursday 27 June 2019

27th June 2019 - Goodbye to the Chairman



Today was a day for some sad news from over the border... 





Last year at Mythodea I found myself adopted by a crazy band of LARPers known as the Flaming Eagles - or the De Vlammende Adelaars. But the key link to that group was another group whose purpose in the game was to "provide" for anyone who paid - but at the time the Adelaars. These were known only as "the Company".


Now, this Company fitted nicely into my existing LARP contacts for songs as the similarity, (as well as the name) between the Black Company and THE Company was excellent for a Bard like me.
However, it must be stated that the kingpin, the mover and shaker of this group was the one who first dragged me across several camps to play for the Eagles, the "Chairman" - Erik D'aes.


His English was excellent - which is important for me as a Stranger in a Strange Land and his manner and enthusiasm for the Game, his role and it seemed for life in general. He made my trip to Germany last year a very memorable one. I made many new friends and found an additional role as Vollsanger - now Bard for the Vlammende Eagles and the Company as well as my other friends in Mythodea.


Sadly, the news came last night that Erik has taken his own life. I do not know the details. I probably never will. It seems from the storm of messages upon the various media, that most of his friends were unaware, and were taken surprise in the same manner that I was. There may be those out there that knew more. I do not know. I did not know him well enough to be a confidant. 


I do not understand why or how people can get themselves into a mindset that will lead to such action, though of course I  have to accept that it happens. 


But today I think that the world is a slightly sadder place. A great character has absented himself from this wider Game called Life. May he rest in peace, perfect peace and may light perpetual shine upon him.

Of all the money that e'er I spent
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that ever I did
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall 
So fill to me the parting glass 
Good night and joy be with you all 

Oh, all the comrades that e'er I had 
They're sorry for my going away 
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had 
They'd wish me one more day to stay 
But since it falls unto my lot 
That I should rise and you should not 
I'll gently rise and softly call 
Good night and joy be with you all


My memorial to Erik D'Aes - The Chairman of the Company 





Goodnight Friend...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Iain... He will be sorely missed in our community, it feels as if part of my heart has departed with him.

    ReplyDelete