Thursday 29 November 2012

29th November 2012 - Grammar Challenge.

And so it has come to this at last. For many years the rule of grammar has been clear that conjunctions should never start a sentence. Or so I thought, until receiving a rant from a friendly Americymru guru Ceri who laid the challenge at my door. But, what would I write about I thought if I were to take up this challenge? Or should I just let a stream of conciousness run like drivel form my brain? Yet, a challenge is a challenge and should not be ignored. Nor should the opportunity to post a blog go unchecked...  So, that brought me to this opening paragraph. And so we may list the FANBOYS acronym of words that should not be used to start a sentence "For, and, nor, but, or, yet, so"


After starting in this fashion,it is desirable to continue onto the coordinating conjunctions. Although there are a number of them!! As much as I would like to list them, as long as they are contained in the sentence I suppose that is sufficient. As thought I care !! Because, if we were to just list them, by the time I got to the end I would have a number of bored people. Before that happens, I will try to keep this humorous, even though it is breaking all the rules. If I was to use "in order that" or "in case" I may be breaking more rules, and that I must avoid. Lest I be called a purist, provided that you have read this far,since the purpose was to identify some conjunctions,so that we knew what to avoid, when, whenever, where and wherever they appear. Unless, and until you see these rules, while they have their place in Grammar, it seems that Ceri Shaw does not like them.


Both Ceri and I agree on one thing. Either use conjunctions or not. Neither opinion nor rule should take precedence. Not only is the text important but also the meaning behind it. Whether you agree or not - I think I have lived up to the challenge.

Thank you 


and so we have them :


Coordinating Conjunctions

There are only seven of these!
for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so




Subordinating Conjunctions




A after, although, as, as if, as long as, as much as, as soon as, as though
B because, before, by the time
E even if, even though
I if, in order that, in case
L lest
O once, only if
P provided that
since, so that
T than, that, though, till
U unless, until
W when, whenever, where, wherever, while

Correlative Conjunctions



both... and
either... or
neither... nor
not only... but also
whether... or




No comments:

Post a Comment