Friday 12 December 2014

12th December 2014 - Encyclopaedia Britannica for Sale - Wife knows everything

Thought for the day: "Parallel lines have so much in common - pity they will never meet!"

After an epic blog yesterday with multiple research topics, and a small confusion because all my search criteria ended up with a gallon of water being 8.25 pounds (US) and apparently 8 pounds for UK, rather than the "old wives tale" tha I remembered form my youth that a gallon of water weighed 10 pounds..

It seem I was wrong.. Or rather - I was right - That is "I" was right, and my "research" was wrong.

I may state that I am not going to go back and change all my calculations form yesterday. However exact I was trying to be, the aim was to imply that the bed was "heavy"  which I think I achieved even if my calculations now turn out to be on the short side...

So - to put the record straight ..
What is the weight of a UK Gallon ??  -  10 pounds
Inspired by the kilogram-litre relationship, the imperial gallon was based on the volume of 10 pounds of distilled water weighed in air with brass weights with the barometer standing at 30 inches of mercury and at a temperature of 62 °F. In 1963, this definition was refined as the space occupied by 10 pounds of ...  well never mind - you get the idea...

This of course was just too obvious for my dear wife who "knew it all before".  

I am not sure that she was also aware of the following snippet,  which I found while checking her calculations.. and which I am sure will raise the ire of all good anti-europeans and probably Mr Lafarge as well as Prime Minister Hacker.....

The gallon was removed from the list of legally defined primary units of measure catalogued in the EU directive 80/181/EEC, for trading and official purposes, with effect from 31 December 1994. Under the directive the gallon could still be used – but only as a supplementary or secondary unit. One of the impacts of this directive was that the United Kingdom amended its own legislation to replace the gallon with the litre as a primary unit of measure in trade and in the conduct of public business, effective from 30 September 1995.
And I always thought that they replaced the gallon with the litre at the petrol pump as the price per gallon would make the little wheel roll around so fast that there would be friction that could cause the petrol pumps to ignite....

You learn something every day 

But that would not have been in the Encyclopaedia Britannica either - so it is still for sale...
I don't use Google much these days either !!!
Bottled some new Chateau 41 (Red) tonight  - feel that I have done something useful with my day.
Cheers  






-o0o-
So I remember them in the future

ALSO For my German
ALT 142 = Ä
ALT 132 = ä
ALT 153 = Ö
ALT 148 = ö
ALT 154 = Ü
ALT 129 = ü

No comments:

Post a Comment